G'ampa C's Blog

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Narrow Path

I had a conversation last night with dear friends who asked the question:
"How do I really know I'm on the narrow path? If, like Jesus said, few find it, how do I really know?"
All kind of things rushed through my mind...junk mail answers to a difficult question.
After some discussion which was likely inadequate, I finally told them I believed it is a heart issue. In other words, maybe I can define the path I'm on based on my motives.
Why do I pay taxes based on the legal amount I should pay? (or, not)
Why do I worship? (or not)
Why do I treat others the way I do?
Why do I give money to someone begging for help? (or why don't I?)

If God has my heart, I will want to please him. I won't always be successful, and sometimes I fall flat on my face. In my past, I am sure that pleasing God was not a possibility to even be considered. You can't EVER do enough to make up for what you do wrong. But what I know now by faith is that God does not expect me to be sinless; He wants my heart. The phrase "for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" comes to mind. How does that play out from day to day, and how do I know. (Or, in movie-speak, how will I know the dark side?)
Maybe the best barometer I have on where my path is headed is how I treat others. Love the Lord with everything you have....and love your neighbor as yourself. I sometimes have difficulty relating to how much I love the Lord, but deep down I know what my treatment of others tells me. Am I rude? Patient? Angry? Supportive? Selfish? Compassionate?
How do I respond to rude people? Inept people? Clumsy people? Needy people? Cantankerous old geezers? Evil people? Arrogant people? Selfish people?
Maybe by realizing Jesus concentrated on the people, not the adjectives.

We are on a journey toward the place our hearts want to call home. Sometimes we forget to look where we are going and get off track. I think the grace of God covers that. When our hearts bring us back to focus on the Lord, we are headed up the right path. Maybe it is less the activities along a path than the direction of travel that tell me where my destination lies.
Thank God for his mercy and grace, that he does not treat me as my sins deserve.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Maybe it is less the activities along a path than the direction of travel that tell me where my destination lies."

    I hope you've nailed it on the head, because that's what makes sense to me.

     
  • At 6:01 AM, Blogger G'ampa C said…

    B-
    Hard questions make for tough-to-define answers. God wants our hearts, but that isn't simple, either.
    Thanks, C.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home