G'ampa C's Blog

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Adoption

This evening we're hosting some college students from ACU for supper(and other kids, probably). I was out on the grill from 10:30 until 1:30 cooking chicken, pork ribs, beef ribs, and stuffed Jalapenos. The house smells good enough to make you want to eat the furniture right now, as the goodies finish in the oven.

This is really all about adoption, believe it or not.

When I was in school at OCC, a family from the church I attended on Britton Road adopted me and my roommates. We were invited to eat on weekends and especially Sundays. We often went home with them for Sunday lunch, walking into the home smelling of roast and fresh bread and desserts. We were asked over for their kid's birthday parties. We were included in family get-togethers and devotionals. They sent us cards on special days and had us over before finals and mid-terms to relax and study while doing our laundry. Along with their 5 children, we ended up calling them Mom & Dad. Their home was home to us. Those times are so memorable, although nothing spectacular ever really happened.
Today while I was cooking, I was wondering what made that so special. I think it is the adoption. The welcoming home. College students being allowed to be kids again. To have someone treat you like their own children. Lots of students didn't get involved in the adoption program, and they really missed out. Highland has had a similar "official" program in the past, but right now there don't seem to be enough families interested to keep it going. That is sad, so we invite new students to be our kids, just like the Willis family, the Watsons, the Barbers and others. Some take us up on it, some don't.

While I was mulling this over (and smoking the ribs), I realized God has offered us the same deal, with bonuses. Come, be my children, let me fix something for you. Take your shoes off, "set" a spell. Stay in my mansion for an eternity or two. Be one of the family. Have some banana pudding, and lick the bowl when it's done. Sit on the front porch and I'll make it rain, just for you.
******

See, how great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called his children.....(and that is what we are)..., for through Jesus, we have received the adoption as sons of the Most High.
Nice. REALLY nice.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As an "adopted" Donaghey, I was blessed to have experienced this family first hand. As a matter of fact, I think that my husband (then boyfriend) was the reason for the licking-the-bottom-of-the-banana-pudding-bowl comment. Gail and Calvin, you have truly blessed so many through this ministry. Thank you for being a the hands and feet of Christ. Grill on, Dad. Grill on.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Randy said…

    Amen and Amen. from another family of Donaghey children/brothers and sisters. It is amazing how they worked to take care of you in everyway they could and yet still treat and respect you as brothers and sisters. What a blessings and I am not just talking about the food. (Although, my mouth did start to water as I read that he was at the grill, ummm Calvin's grilled chicken. Those are good memories.) Again on the spiritual front, we are partly who we are because of our shared time you your family. (and as I am sure you know, your kids are part of that awesome shared experience in our lives.) We love you and miss you dearly. We cannot wait until we get to see you again. thanks for your notes and your love.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Calvin,

    I always smile reading your blog; you have so much wisdom in all you say and do. And this post is particularly great, because I can relate to being "adopted" by you and Gail. Yall have had an immeasureable impact on our lives, and it all started by just being neighbors! How blessed we were to end up across the street! I sure do miss you and Gail, and those girls of yours, too! Sorry we don't stop by like we'd like to. It's not an excuse that life gets busy, but I hope you guys know that we think of yall a lot more often than we may call or come by. Yall are so special to us. Thank you for loving us. We love yall so much.

    Love, your "oldest" daughter, Kim

    (Aaron, Jacob, and Dixie send their love, too!)

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger G'ampa C said…

    Lisa- nice to hear from you and thanks for your comment. There are at least 4 young men who could have sponsored the banana pudding statement, but it wasn't your hubby. His initials are S.N.

    Randy-
    So good to know you occasion my musings. Love you guys.

    KJW-
    We miss having you across the street, as well. We love you.
    C

     

Post a Comment

<< Home