G'ampa C's Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Lord's Supper Volume 1: Introduction

Having been asked to post my convictions about the Lord's Supper on the WWW, I will try to Blog those ideas over the next couple of weeks as I have time. I have posted several parts on several different sites at different times, but I will try to coalesce the random cosmic rays into a more concentrated beam.
Disclaimer: I don't know Greek, I am not a scholar, read at your own risk. I generally study out of the NIV.

Introduction:
Twice each year, our church family has a Family Retreat at a beautiful camp on the Frio River near Leakey, Texas. We always have a Sunday morning worship service there. Three years ago, I was asked to take charge of the Lord's Supper during that worship service, so I looked at the old familiar passages to prepare for communion. Having just studied some things about communion in our Life Team's study of Luke, I began to build on that study to be ready for the retreat. I became troubled as I began to see those texts in a new light. The Spirit had a journey ready for me which I could not possibly have foreseen. This series of blogs is a review of where that journey has taken me, and is still taking me. I don't have all the answers, I don't even have all the questions about communion, but I am convinced the Spirit has been leading me to look for both.
To be fair to any potential readers, I must confess that I now believe something miraculous and powerful happens, or should happen, when we take the Lord's Supper with the Body. There is no formula for what happens or how things happen, because each meal is different. We come to the table in a different state of mind and spirit each time, with the typical (or not so typical) baggage over our shoulders, concerns and stresses and issues that are tugging at our attention. The LifeTeam I am involved with, and the mission team I served with last summer have been looking at the Lord's Supper and trying to follow the biblical pattern (both inferred and direct) for the meal. It is and has been a life-altering process. Once again, having no formal biblical training, I must rely on the plain text and the powerful things I have seen and heard.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger julie said…

    We are on this journey together. I love gathering around the table with you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home