G'ampa C's Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Lord's Supper Volume 3: Covenant (continued)

When Jesus "instituted" what we call the Lord's Supper, it was in the context of the Passover meal or a precursor thereof. Look at his language:
"I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the Kingdom of God." (Luke 22:15-16)
Why did he EAGERLY desire it? If it was for his disciples' sake alone, would he have said for I will not eat it again? I believe Jesus knew that the meal was special and would give him strength for what he was about to suffer. He considered the meal to be miraculous in its power. What need could Jesus possibly have when it comes to power? Hmmm.
Now look at the language he used in John 6:52-59. Remember the covenant language of "Do this, and I will do that"? Doesn't he make a pretty good case for a covenant in the Lord's Supper? Look again at Luke 22:20. "THIS CUP IS THE NEW COVENANT IN MY BLOOD, WHICH IS POURED OUT FOR YOU."
What is Jesus trying to say? We have a deal: eat my body, drink my blood, and I will raise you up at the last day. I promise. My promise is a covenant.
I think I used to have a good handle on the (in rapid succession) hearbelieverepentconfess....BE BAPTIZED... and you will be saved. I didn't have a handle on the covenant of his meal.
There's just one problem, and that is that these covenants are faith issues. If I believe that God will do nothing when I am immersed, do I limit what God may choose to do in my behalf? Probably. I certainly limit the grand view of faith and forgiveness he has for me. What about the Lord's Supper? If I do not see the meal with eyes of faith, how am I limiting what God will do with it in my life?
Or, conversely, when I do look at the meal as a covenant promise, a promise of eternal life, a participation in the sacrifice of Jesus, then it is truly a miracle, right here. Every bit of cracker, every sip of juice......eternal life.
When I got to this point in my little study, I got scared. Have I really been missing the point all these years? Is this cracker and grape juice really a salvation issue after all? Have I really been that blind to what Jesus had planned?
Better go look at some more text and work this thing out.......

1 Comments:

  • At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for this series of posts. I look forward to reading the rest.

    I'll echo Julie's comment earlier. I'm so thankful to be a part of the group traveling this journey with you. You'll never know how much you have blessed each of us by challenging us to really look at the purpose and meaning of the communion meal.

    Preach on brother....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home