G'ampa C's Blog

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Things I Celebrate (2)

I celebrate a warm fireplace and a hot bowl of chili on a cold, rainy evening.

I celebrate friends who anonymously give cash practically every month to a family struggling over jobs and finances. Being close friends of both families, I have become the bearer of the envelope. What a blessing to watch the reactions.

I celebrate the fact that I have never had too little food, I have never been in want. I have never been put out in the cold or without shelter. It is humbling to realize that so many millions of people get by without things I take for granted.

I celebrate a wife and 3 children who love me, in spite of my faults and scabs.

I celebrate a family of four who moved back to Abilene, and who manage to show me they love me every time we see each other.

Something like 98% of the people in this world have less physical belongings than I. God has richly blessed me and my country. I need to be more consciously aware of what he does and has done, and celebrate his gifts. Celebration is more than a happy feeling; it is a happy feeling arising from an awareness of God's blessings.

To whom much is given, much is required...

1 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger Kim W. said…

    Enjoyed catching up with your writings. I've missed yall alot, and need to make it over that way. And Jacob needs to see Gampa C! We've seen Gail a couple times since you were gone, but now we need to come see you! But until then, know we are thinking of you and look forward to seeing you soon. And by the way, thanks for all of the wisdom and love shown through your blog. I absolutely can't wait to read your next post - I feel uplifted each time. Thanks, Calvin. We love you. Kim, Aaron, and Jacob

     

Post a Comment

<< Home