G'ampa C's Blog

Friday, January 26, 2007

The Cloud of Witnesses

Mike's post today was about how preachers were supported in their early (student) days by small churches. It made me wonder about our youth, and what I do to support them. It could be that the way the young are received and treated by the older generation has a lasting effect on their spirituality. Do we become for our youth a great cloud of witnesses, cheering them on and supporting them, or do we not have time for them?

It has become normal for our church to have baptisms after church on Wednesday nights, not by decree, but by choice of the "dunk-ee". When such an event is announced, I am convinced that every person who can possibly do so should show up, even if they don't know the person. It's a matter of support, of involvement.

What is the message we send our youth? As a member of an "older generation" (I can say that since I'm over 50...), am I a benefit to our youth? Do they view me as someone who supports them in their walk? Am I one of a cloud of witnesses?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home